Revision to “O” Licence requirement
The Senior Traffic Commissioner for Great Britain, Beverley Bell on the 14 December 2015 published a revised set of statutory instruments.
The documents were reviewed to meet the traffic commissioners’ (TCs’) strategic objectives of reducing the burden on compliant operators, targeting those who put road safety at risk and achieving more consistent outcomes when dealing with the conduct of professional drivers.
The documents have been revised following consultation and cover key areas of the operator licensing regime and traffic commissioner decision making. The changes will introduce:
- A streamlined process for direct transport manager replacements and additional nominations.
- For the first time, a role description for transport managers and what they are expected to do.
- A new approach to transport manager working hours.
- Extended delegations so that traffic commissioner staff can take more decisions on behalf of the TCs.
- Quicker decision making, communications and greater guidance for dealing with incomplete applications.
- Processes to take less serious cases out of public inquiry listings, meaning that tribunal resources are targeted at the serially non compliant.
- New guidance on driver conduct, including case studies which operators can use to train and educate employees.
The revised guidance took effect on 1 January 2016. More information can be found by contacting the Office of the Traffic Commissioner, Suite 6, Stone Cross Place, Golborne, Warrington, WA3 2SH or at https://www.gov.uk/government/news/revised-guidance-and-directions-for-road-transport-regulation