BIFA Young Forwarder Network: Sustainable Initiatives Create Long Term Value
With sustainability such an important topic, we were delighted to welcome Andrea Barrett, VP Social Responsibility & Sustainability at RS Components as our final YFN speaker of the year.
Andrea gave an interesting talk, giving a comprehensive overview of the various sustainability initiatives in place and what they have planned, all based on science-based targets (SBTi) which provide companies with a clearly defined path to reduce emissions in line with the Paris Agreement goals.
Andrea talked about several topics, including:
- How they have restructured their supply chain to source, store and deliver locally so products travel less miles
- How they are switching to lower carbon forms of transport
- Adding sustainability as a criteria in choosing their freight provider
- Measuring their carbon emissions through transport
- Collaborating with customers and suppliers – including consolidating orders and delivery points
The above is just some of the initiatives that the Electrocomponents PLC group of companies are working towards their 2030 ESG (Environmental, Social, and Governance) actions.
Participants in the YFN are the leaders of the future and their actions will play a key role in a more sustainable future and how the logistics community will contribute to it.
We would like to thank Andrea for her time and fascinating insight to the variety of examples shown during the session.
You can find more about SBTi at https://sciencebasedtargets.org/
The next YFN event will take place on Thursday 13th January 2022 at 15:30.